Friday, November 5, 2010

Primer: The First Coating on My Creative Writing Professor

I came at about 15 minutes pass 1:00 p.m. and my professor never let my being late during THE first day of our class pass her. My impression of her is that she was rather stiff or just very composed, either of the two is applicable, or bluntly, perfect fit actually. She looked calm yet intimidating from afar. I can't see her clearly since I forgot my eyeglasses at home. She speaks articulately yet audibly authoritative. IDK her. Today is the first time I ever saw her in school. Or perhaps I've just forgotten that we've met along the corridors or else where. Anyway, I find her dull, blank and scary at first stare. And now that I'd be spending the next hundred days of my college life with her, to think though that I love this writing course, describing what I feel right now as scared is an understatement.

You won't get 97She said this before she dismissed us because according to her our class was too creative. Yeah right.. Our professor tried to find out how creative was the class. So photocopies wherein two big pictures aligned horizontally were issued to us. The task was to say whatever you think the pictures might entail. Some of my classmates gave unimaginable answers. Some stated what seems very obvious. One from the class asked our prof if the task was to describe but she said it wasn't. But when she said the "right" answers, they were simple and very  ordinary:just depicting what were drawn. Nothing new and great. Nothing amusing about the answers. Like saying, "Aaahhh.. Okay. Yun lang pala."

From this hour, until our next meeting probably, I am not getting her. Maybe because nothing interesting exuded from her strong presence. I felt her. But the feeling I caught is the one you'd not want to feel ever again as a student that is excited to do fiction writing. Still, I guess, the feeling is mutual for her. She was open about her high expectation from us Communication majors, and during the discussion, she said she wasn't getting any. That hurt but I thought she spoke to soon. There are many promising writers in my class I believe. Breaking their hearts at this early portion of the semester would not help. I expect our professor to be considerate, of course, at a certain extent. I hope she gives what is due to us. And personally, expect that I won't take my Creative Writing course for granted.

I've just done my personal primer on one of my professors. I expect that this becomes a masterpiece. With the right symmetry and the presence of all the other elements I need, it is possible. And I'm actually working on the other elements. But I still need all the help she and my classmates, or others, can extend.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog! Welcome...
    And about the promising writers in your class? I suppose you're first in the list. Keep writing!
    http://www.alchriscreatedhisgalaxy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird nga.. Baka dahil doctor na. Hehe

    ReplyDelete